Wednesday, June 11, 2008

And Now for Something Completely Different...

This week I watched the 1976 film Network . It left me speechless...not the easiest thing to do, I'll admit.

In its time, Network was considered an extremely well acted, well-written satire. Watching it now, it looks more like a documentary, unfortunately. Take a few minutes and watch this monologue from the movie, admittedly doctored up a bit, but still effective (the original movie clip without all of the bells and whistles can be found here). If you're a Fox News fan, you might want to skip the first 42 seconds, because it makes fun of Mr. Charming himself, Bill "Shut Up" O'Reilly.

If you get a free minute (or four), please watch the video. Listen to the monologue. And be sure to remember it the next time you sit down to watch the evening news, or your favorite television show. Personally, I'm too much or a couch potato to go so far as to turn off the tv for good, forever and ever amen. But I'm going do my best to watch with an open mind. We all should. We can't believe everything the boob tube tells us. Lies, spins and cover-ups abound, I don't care who says otherwise.

And no, I'm NOT just talking about Fox News, either. Liberal Media...HORSE SHIT! ALL the major networks are guilty of manipulating, hiding or sexing up the news in one way or another. Don't believe me? Take a look at this clip from The Daily Show, one of the few news sources I actually trust. Frightening, if you ask me. Which you didn't, I realize.

OK, I'm done. Not trying to preach here...just trying to share.

Thanks for reading (and watching).

1 comment:

Burlene said...

Where are you? I am waiting for my daily dose of JoeyG. I love and miss you.